Swede and bacon pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- serves 4
- 6 slices back bacon, trimmed of all fat
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large swede, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 400ml chicken stock
- a small handful parsley, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and halved
- STEP 1
Put the bacon in a non-stick pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook until browned and crisp. Remove, and brown the onions in the same oil. Return the bacon to the pan along with the swede and carrot and season well. Pour in the chicken stock, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the veg is tender. Stir in the parsley. Divide between 4 individual pie dishes. Keep warm.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water until just tender (about 8 minutes). Drain and cool, then mash. Spoon onto the swede mixture, keeping the potato fluffy, and sprinkle with seasoning. Grill until the potato starts to brown.