Spaghetti and turkey meatballs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
- 400g turkey mince
- 2 onions, 1 grated, 1 finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 350g spaghetti
- a handful of leaves basil
- finely grated to serve parmesan
- STEP 1Put the turkey mince into a bowl and add the grated onion, 1 of the grated garlic cloves, the fennel seeds, chilli flakes and lots of seasoning, and mix really well. Form into 16 balls.
- STEP 2Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the meatballs, in batches, for 3-4 minutes or until golden all over. Scoop out onto a plate.
- STEP 3Add the finely chopped onion, remaining garlic clove and a generous splash of water, and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the onion has softened. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes, then use a hand blender to whizz until smooth. Return the meatballs and simmer for 10 minutes until cooked through.
- STEP 4Cook the spaghetti following pack instructions in a large pan of boiling salted water, then drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid.
- STEP 5Tip the spaghetti into the pan, toss with the sauce and meatballs, and divide between plates. Scatter over the basil and parmesan before serving.