- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 2
- 77g cubed pancetta or guanciale
- a knob unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, washed, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 200g spaghetti
- 3 egg yolks
- 75g parmesan
- black peppercorns, ground to make 2 tsp
- STEP 1
Cook the pancetta in a cold non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes or until the fat has rendered and the pancetta is crisp. Scoop out onto a plate using a slotted spoon.
- STEP 2Add the butter and leeks to the pan with a pinch of salt, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook gently for 15-20 minutes or until the leeks are very tender. Stir the pancetta back into the pan. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water following pack instructions.
- STEP 3Whisk together the egg yolks, parmesan and black pepper. When the pasta is nearly done, spoon 2 tbsp of the pasta cooking water into the egg mixture and whisk again.
- STEP 4Use a pair of tongs to transfer the spaghetti straight from the water to the leek pan, then reduce the heat to very low. Immediately scrape in the egg mixture and use the tongs to gently toss everything together. Add another splash of the pasta cooking water, if needed to loosen. Continue to toss for 3-4 minutes – the sauce should thicken and cling to the spaghetti, which means the egg yolks are cooked. Divide the carbonara between two bowls and serve.