Curry butter potted shrimps with sourdough toast
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- plus chilling
- Serves 4-6 as a starter
- 300g unsalted butter
- 1/2 a thumb-sized piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2cm piece cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns, ground
- 1/4 nutmeg, finely grated
- 180g cooked, peeled brown shrimps
- sourdough, toasted
- STEP 1
Heat the butter in a saucepan until fully melted, then pour into a measuring jug and leave it to settle. Pour off the clarified butter into a clean saucepan, leaving behind the white solids at the bottom.
- STEP 2
Add the ginger, garlic and cinnamon to the clarified butter and heat up slowly over a medium heat. Let it sizzle for several minutes (it will begin to smell cooked), then add all of the spices. Turn off the heat, cool and season.
- STEP 3
Divide the shrimps between 4 jars or ramekins, pour over the spiced butter to cover them completely, then chill until set. Serve with hot toasted sourdough. They’ll keep for up to a week in the fridge.