Gravadlax with mustard and dill sauce
- Serves 10, 10 Minutes + 2 days curing
- 1 side salmon, scaled and pin-boned
- 500g sea salt
- 1 kg golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 2 bunches dill, 1 finely chopped for the cure, 1 finely chopped for the garnish
- 50g sweet american mustard
- 50g caster sugar
- 35ml white wine vinegar
- 150ml rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 30g dill, chopped
- STEP 1
Put a large sheet of foil in a tray big enough to lay the salmon out flat. Mix together the salt, sugar, peppercorns and dill and spread half of the cure on the foil, lay the salmon side, skin side down, on top and cover with the rest of the salt-sugar mix. Wrap well and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
- STEP 2
When the salmon feels firm at the thickest part, scrape off the excess cure, give the fillet a wash in cold water and pat dry.
- STEP 3
To make the sauce, whizz the mustard, sugar and vinegar in a small blender and slowly add the oil, drop by drop to begin with and then faster as the emulsion thickens. Finish with the chopped dill.
- STEP 4
Slice the salmon thinly and serve with the mustard sauce and garnish with dill.