Step-by-step guide: how to separate eggs
1. Set two small bowls next to each other.
2. Crack your egg on the side of one of the bowls, carefully splitting it into two halves (make sure no egg escapes).
3. Transfer the egg yolk from one shell half to the other, letting the egg white fall into one of the bowls below as you go.
4. Repeat until all the egg white has gone.
5. Plop the egg yolk into the other bowl.
6. Why not use your newfound skill in the recipe below?
PISTACHIO MERINGUES WITH CREAM
2 1/2 hours – 3 1/2 hours, makes 24, easy
eggs 3, whites only
caster sugar 150g
shelled pistachio nuts 60g, finely chopped
double cream 284ml pot
Heat the oven to 110c/fan 90c/gas ¼. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, add the sugar, whisking all the time, then keep whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy, and fold in the nuts.
Pipe small rounds of the mixture on 2 baking trays lined with non-stick parchment and bake for 1 hour (for soft centres) or 1½ hours for crisper ones. Leave to cool in the oven. Repeat with any more mixture.
Whip the cream until it is stiff and sandwich the meringues together.
per serving 302 kcals, protein 3.4g, carbohydrate 21.4g, fat 23.1g, saturated fat 11.2g, fibre 0g, salt 0.09g