Classic apple and blackberry crumble
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
- 2 bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 3 Braeburn apples (or any other sweet eating apples), peeled, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 300g blackberries
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 150g golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- to serve custard or ice cream
- 350g plain flour
- 175g salted butter, chilled and diced
- 100g golden caster sugar
- STEP 1
To make the crumble, put the flour and butter in a food processor and pulse to rough breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and a big pinch of salt.
- STEP 2
Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Toss the apples with the blackberries, lemon juice, golden caster sugar and cinnamon. Put in a large ovenproof dish and scatter over the crumble mix, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle over the demerera.
- STEP 3
Bake for 50 minutes or until golden on top and the sauce is bubbling up around the edges. Leave to sit out of the oven for 10 minutes, then serve with custard or ice cream.