First up, make your own vanilla ice cream with our expert, step-by-step recipe here. Or buy some shop bought vanilla ice cream (check out our taste test here for the best).
We have tested the best ice cream makers to bring your our expert results, check out our guide.
Ice cream toppings
Retro caramel banana split
- Put 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream in a bowl with 1 halved small banana.
- Drizzle over a spoonful of salted caramel sauce, add some squirty cream and finish with a couple of red maraschino cocktail cherries.
Check out our banana recipes for more inspiration.
Boozy Baileys affogato
- Pour a measure each of strong coffee (espresso is ideal) and Baileys over 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- Add a few chocolate covered coffee beans to finish.
Ice cream with spiced nuts and fudge
- Put 100g mixed nuts in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp melted butter, 1 tbsp brown sugar, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp mild chilli powder and a pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix well, then spread on a non-stick baking tray and bake at 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tip onto baking paper to cool completely, then chop.
- Cut 4 chunks of butter fudge into small pieces. Top scoops of vanilla ice cream with a few chopped nuts and mini fudge pieces (makes enough topping for 3-4 bowls).
Hot chocolate and berry ice cream sundae
- Put 75g chopped dark chocolate in a pan with 5 tbsp whole milk and 1 tbsp golden syrup.
- Heat gently until the chocolate melts, then whisk until shiny and uniform.
- Pour over vanilla ice cream and top with mixed berries (makes enough sauce for 2-3 bowls).