First up, make your own vanilla ice cream with our expert, step-by-step recipe here. Or buy some shop bought vanilla ice cream (check out our taste test here for the best)
- Use shop-bought vanilla ice cream or make our vanilla ice cream
Ice cream toppings
Retro caramel banana split
- Put 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream in a bowl with 1 halved small banana.
- Drizzle over a spoonful of salted caramel sauce, add some squirty cream and finish with a couple of red maraschino cocktail cherries.
Boozy Baileys affogato
- Pour a measure each of strong coffee (espresso is ideal) and Baileys over 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- Add a few chocolate covered coffee beans to finish.
Ice cream with spiced nuts and fudge
- Put 100g mixed nuts in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp melted butter, 1 tbsp brown sugar, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp mild chilli powder and a pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Mix well, then spread on a non-stick baking tray and bake at 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tip onto baking paper to cool completely, then chop.
- Cut 4 chunks of butter fudge into small pieces. Top scoops of vanilla ice cream with a few chopped nuts and mini fudge pieces (makes enough topping for 3-4 bowls).
Hot chocolate and berry ice cream sundae
- Put 75g chopped dark chocolate in a pan with 5 tbsp whole milk and 1 tbsp golden syrup.
- Heat gently until the chocolate melts, then whisk until shiny and uniform.
- Pour over vanilla ice cream and top with mixed berries (makes enough sauce for 2-3 bowls).