1. Make a small cut along the top of the pepper (widthways, by the stalk) as if you’re going to take the top off; but don’t cut all the way through.
2. Next, cut along along the pepper lengthways, but don’t cut all the way through. Scrape out the seeds.
3. Add some crumbled mozzarella to a bowl along with some grated gruyere. Season with some pepper and mix.
4. Stuff the insides of the pepper with your cheese mixture.
5. Once they’re all stuffed, break eggs into a bowl and mix. Add some flour to one bowl and some breadcrumbs to another.
6. Dip them in the flour first; then eggs; then finally the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining peppers.
7. Heat oil in a pan no more than 1/3 full until it reaches 180C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Fry until golden brown, drain on paper towel, and keep warm in a low oven while you fry the rest.